--- Ville Syrjälä <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't understand you GPU vs. PIO comparisons. You can use the 2D engine
> with DMA as well. And at least with older cards the 2D engine is clearly
> faster than the 3D engine (~100% faster for blits on my G400) so trying to
> bypass it is just stupid.

The OpenGL driver is free to use whatever hardware mode it wants internally.  I
agree that on some older hardware 2D mode is faster than 3D. That is not true
for current hardware.

> > I said OpenGL is the only accelerated API available on Linux. Can you name
> > another?
>
> DirectFB.

Does DirectFB work on anything beside Matrox now?

> > There is a little acceleration in framebuffer, but I don't know of any
> > others. Also, software mesa works just fine to provide OpenGL on dumb 2D
> cards.
>
> Using unaccelerated OpenGL for 2D rendering doesn't sound exatly useful.

There is much more to 2D rendering in things like the Mac UI and Longhorn than
can be accomplished with BitBlt. You need transforms, filters and alpha
blending. Hardware texturing is much faster than doing it in software. Some of
the effects are achieved with pixel shaders. xserver features a fully composited
window manager, it needs these features to have a fast response time.

OpenGL to me seems like the best pick for these reasons:
1) with have a good open source version, mesa
2) mesa supports a broad number of cards, basically everything there is doc for
3) OpenGL is a well published API, it is taught in universities and many books
are available
4) It is likely that Nvidia and ATI will support standalone OpenGL stacks for
their high end hardware on Linux
5) OpenGL is cross-platform. For example Cairo is being written with an OpenGL
back end. OpenGL Cairo will run on Window and the Mac too. This will make Linux
apps more portable.
6) The embedded market has OpenGL-ES which can run in less than 100K.

What would be reasons for picking another API?

=====
Jon Smirl