As I've said, I don't have a deep grasp of the requirements of a putative future mode-setting API, but in the course of other reading I came across MLdc, which is a part of the OpenML environment. This is a library API which seems to give comprehensive control of mode-setting to an application, but also seems to provide a reasonably easy way to set simple modes. It also has an extension mechanism.

It's currently dependent on X to a tiny degree, so there would be some work in adapting it to become "stand-alone", and it probably has no conception of things like virtual terminals, etc.

Anyway, the OpenML spec is here:

http://www.khronos.org/openml/spec.html

MLdc is a component of the larger environment.

Keith