On Wed, 26 May 2004, Keith Whitwell wrote:

Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

Hi Nikolai,

I merged your patches - thank you very much !

I wonder if a similar approach could allow us to reset the radeon/r200 after lockups?

Well, Nikolai's patch is not specific to R300 - it uses plain Radeon registers.

There's historically been code which tried to do that, but it just never ever worked...

I always thought that the code did work, however since the reset usually happened in DRM driver it did not know how to set the mode. There were quite a few occasions where I was able to kill X and then restart it.
(though on other occasions killing X resulted in hard lockup).

What's different in Nikolai's patch is that the reset is initiated by X itself.

It might be that the lockup was due to clocks being switched off, but the DAC left active - or something similar.

                     best

                        Vladimir Dergachev

Keith