Aapi Hämäläinen wrote:
pe, 02-07-2004 kello 11:20 +0200, Michel Dänzer kirjoitti:

Yes, those are all symptoms of chip lockups. The watchdog and engine
reset patches discussed recently might help to some degree, but of
course the best thing would be to find and fix the bugs that cause the
lockups...

Here are the mentioned patches:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=dri-devel&m=108551485018672&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=dri-devel&m=108551675805810&w=2
I use them with good results, in some cases they don't work and there's still a chip lockup, but in most cases you can continue working without rebooting. That said, I can't reproduce these lockups you (and others) mention - there are only lockups when using multiple GL apps, and lockups when I mess around with driver's internals :-). Strange...

Is there a debug flag somewhere I could turn on when building dri, or should I try gdb, strace and the other usual stuff?
Those lockups are hard to debug. I think without a second box it's more or less impossible. The patches above won't help neither (quite the contrary, the process and any relevant info what caused the lockup will be gone). Also, the lockups are not detected instantly, since the app usually hangs when it can't get a free dma buffer (because the gpu has stopped processing them), but the actual lockup might have happened some buffers earlier.
You can get a lot of debug output with environment variable R200_DEBUG=xxx (sanity for instance). Also, the radeon kernel module has a debug option (drm_opts=debug I think, haven't tried in a long time). For finding lockups which happen unpredictably that might not been useful, the radeon kernel module will generate gigabytes of kernel log entries in no time...

> Also, some builds (including the 29.6.04 one) seem to have problems with
> 1024x768/32bit -- I get ~2FPS in ET, with ~40 in one-two second bursts.
> The problem goes away when dropping to a 16bit mode (~50FPS). Also, some
> builds (including the last sf.net one) seem to have no problems with
> 32bit modes.

Hmm. Does this also happen when you turn down the texture quality slider one notch?

Roland