Hi Jon

Il Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:53:46AM -0700, Jon Smirl ha scritto:
> 3) Secondary card reset - Handled by an initial hotplug event. We need
> a volunteer to write clean vm86 and emu86 apps for running the ROM
> initialization.

There was a thread on acpi-devel about POSTing VGA ROM after resume:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=acpi4linux&m=109023076427394&w=2

The code does a real mode switch in kernel and execute the ROM. Ok, doing
that in userspace is more elegant, but that code is not a mess (though
it's arch dependant).

Btw, how do we POST non-x86 (eg. ppc) video boards? I don't think that
there's x86 code in their ROM...

> 7) Mode setting from normal user space - devices will have a standard
> IOCTL accepting a mode string like fbdev currently uses.

sysfs? I sent a patch a while ago but didn't get much feedback.

> 14) A new framebuffer memory manager is needed for mesa GL support. Ian
> is working on it. The memory manager will be part of the support
> library driver code.

sisfb has a memory manager for fb/drm, it may be worth a closer look.

Luca
--
Home: http://kronoz.cjb.net
La differenza fra l'intelligenza e la stupidita`?