On Mer, 2004-07-28 at 22:31, Kronos wrote:
> There was a thread on acpi-devel about POSTing VGA ROM after resume:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=acpi4linux&m=109023076427394&w=2
>
> The code does a real mode switch in kernel and execute the ROM. Ok, doing
> that in userspace is more elegant, but that code is not a mess (though
> it's arch dependant).

And also some cards do rather deep magic or don't even have a real
video ROM but a BIOS hack that goes away. This got discussed - its fun

> Btw, how do we POST non-x86 (eg. ppc) video boards? I don't think that
> there's x86 code in their ROM...

Same way X does - x86emu

> > 7) Mode setting from normal user space - devices will have a standard
> > IOCTL accepting a mode string like fbdev currently uses.
>
> sysfs? I sent a patch a while ago but didn't get much feedback.

How do you atomically tie sysfs objects to fbdev and X permissions
models ?

> > 14) A new framebuffer memory manager is needed for mesa GL support. Ian
> > is working on it. The memory manager will be part of the support
> > library driver code.
>
> sisfb has a memory manager for fb/drm, it may be worth a closer look.

Its way too slow and doesn't deal with a lot of things it should, its a
problem even on DRI today. Ian has some design for a mostly user space
allocator which is critical as DRI can hit 100K allocs/second.