Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:49:14PM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:48:09AM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:

John Baldwin wrote:

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 07:07 am, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

Hi there,

Judging from /sys/dev/drm/ contents, and listed kernel options in NOTES,
there's currently evidence of support for i810/830 chips in FreeBSD,
which (I suspect) is the probable reason why DRI is not enabled on my
box (FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT from yesterday, latest X.Org).  I also found
traces of i810/830 support in FDo CVS
(http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dri/drm/bsd/i830/),
getting me to the fact that i8x0 files were removed from the BSD side,
since they were not actually ported.  (Unfinished? broken? unstable?)

The i830 DRM stuff is ported in a branch of DRI, but it's not in DRI head because of a security problem with the code.

And there were some persistent issues with older hardware that I never resolved to my satisfaction.

The new 'i915' code fixes these problems and is generally much cleaner - it should be the focus for intel chipset development from here out. I don't know any reason why it shouldn't be possible to apply the freebsd changes from the branch to this code on the head.

I've made an ugly hack to i915.ko (FreeBSD kernel module) to return its
name as "i830" and version as "1.3.0" to be recognized by Xorg server.
It now seems to find it and attach, but direct rendering still disabled,
and the following message gets spitted in dmesg:

error: [drm:pid48509:i915_unlock] *ERROR* Process 48509 using kernel context 0

i915.o isn't a drop-in replacement for i830.o, you need to use the new DDX and 3D driver.

I'm sorry that I've caused this misunderstanding - the i915 driver is a replacement for the i830 driver, you can't mix and match parts of it. It additionally requires some work to port it to FreeBSD.

Keith