On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 01:37, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > It looks like the timeout for many Radeon DRI operations is controlled
> > by the dev_priv->usec_timeout value, which is copied from userspace via
> > ioctl in radeon_cp_init.  This value can be as large as 100 MSECS!
> >
> > radeon_drv.h:#define RADEON_MAX_USEC_TIMEOUT           100000  /* 100 ms */
> >
> > The driver does not seem to have a default for this, so you need to find
> > the userspace code that is initializing the DRI and find the value it is
> > being set to.
> >
> the current default is 10000 usecs from radeon_dri.h in
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati (Xorg tree) you can use the
> option CPusecTimeout in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to tweak this value
> ..

What happens if it times out?  We drop a few frames?

> balance latencies is difficult :-)

We are actually not interested in balancing latencies.  What is needed
is a way to tell the system that audio latency is important, 3D is not.

> , I think the DRM could do with a bit of
> profiling on what the average times it takes for the GPU to become idle..

Indeed.  For the radeon driver it looks like you could just measure the
number of times you spin in those loops.  Or, just keep setting it lower
and see if it breaks.

Lee