On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 22:37, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > It looks like the timeout for many Radeon DRI operations is controlled
> > by the dev_priv->usec_timeout value, which is copied from userspace via
> > ioctl in radeon_cp_init.  This value can be as large as 100 MSECS!
> >
> > radeon_drv.h:#define RADEON_MAX_USEC_TIMEOUT           100000  /* 100 ms */
> >
> > The driver does not seem to have a default for this, so you need to find
> > the userspace code that is initializing the DRI and find the value it is
> > being set to.
> >
> the current default is 10000 usecs from radeon_dri.h in
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati (Xorg tree) you can use the
> option CPusecTimeout in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to tweak this value

Hey, thanks, I was not aware of that option!

Changing the value has the predictable effect of lowering the duration
of the latency hits I get. Setting it to "1000" (instead of "10000")
makes it possible to run glxgears (the test I'm using to trigger xruns)
with bigger screen sizes than before. I can still trigger xruns, of
course, but they are < 1ms instead of < 10ms :-(

DRI gurus: let me know if somebody comes up with a patch, I'm willing to
be a guinea pig...

-- Fernando