--- Ingo Molnar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> the cleanest and highest performing solution would be to have an
> interrupt source for 3D completion - do you have such an interrupt
> handler handy? If yes then you can sleep precisely up to completion:

Interrupts are not a good solution. The hardware would generate
millions of them per second. This is the same problem network cards
have, you can interrupt the machine to death.

I would expect the best solution is to make a few passes through the
loop delaying a couple usec to catch the common case of quick
completion. Then switch to doing need_resched().

I haven't tried tuning this code before, other people like Michel
Dänzer may have more experience in this area and know the history of
the previous attempts. Someone who knows the details of DRM locking
needs to do the changes.

BTW, loops like this are in most of the DRM drivers for other cards.
They are probably in accelerated framebuffer drivers too.

=====
Jon Smirl