On Saturday 04 September 2004 11:43 am, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> On 04.09.2004, at 08:04, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > So what do we do about FreeBSD? For example I need to bring in the I2C
> > and mode setting code from the GPL fbdev radeon driver into the DRM
> > one. I don't want to rewrite a 1,000 lines of working driver code.
> >
> > How many DRM users are there on FreeBSD? I've only run into three that
> > I know of. I'm sure there are more but is it 1,000 people or 100,000?
> > I don't think DRM CVS will even compile currently on FreeBSD. I think
> > I broke it a week ago and no one has said anything.
>
> I think David Airlie broke it already before. Yes I am using DRM on
> DragonFlyBSD and yes there are lots of people who'd like to use it on
> *BSD too. I just didn't want to stomp right in and scream "you break it
> - fix it!". Actually I hoped that the linux specific parts would be
> abstracted again so that it wouldn't break on BSD. As I'm not following
> cvs mailings I hoped Erik Anholt would fix the broken parts, but he's
> busy I think.
Ditto for FreeBSD.  There are also quite a few people that rely on DRM on
FreeBSD since NVidia are currently the only ones that provide FreeBSD
drivers, it's either DRM or NVidia.
The reason for the few complaints is probably because everyone is gearing up
for 5.3 since it's a major release and time is being consumed by that.

> But as it seems that you want to hear people scream when something
> broke, okay. I will happily post breakes and - if I'm able to do so -
> also fixes to this.
>
> I personally don't care *that* much about licenses as long as at least
> an OS agnostic API is retained.
>
> > The code is starting to drift further from BSD anyway. BSD is missing
> > major OS features like hotplug and resource control that Linux DRM is
> > starting to use.
IIRC some of stuff should be coming after 5.3.

--
Anish Mistry