There were reports (and I experienced it myself) of Radeon 9200-based
cards where the DVI output got disabled by DRI applications. After
exiting the 3D application, VT switching to another virtual terminal and
back to X restored the display. Are you using the DVI output on your
card? If yes, can you test if the analog VGA port works?

I investigated the problem a bit before I returned that card. I was able
to get the same effect by running x11perf for a while. So I suspect it's
not directly related to DRI or the 3D engine but a general power supply
or overheating problem that occurs when the chip is stressed for some
time. With 3D applications it took only one or two seconds for the DVI
port to switch off. With x11perf it took a few minutes.

When I played q3demo for about 10 min on the analog VGA port it took
several minutes before VT switching would restore the DVI output. That's
why I believe it may be heat related. With Windows drivers I didn't
manage to the the DVI port working at all on this card.

Regards,
  Felix

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:03:32 +0200
Luca Zini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have an ati 9000 on a asus a7n8x-x.
> the direct rendering works well, and I can use glxgears, celestia and some other
> application that need it, but a lot of games don't work.
> For example when I try to start tuxracer the screen goes black and I can only exit
> pressing esc. I can listen game's audio, but the video is completely black.
> I looked for some errors, but I didn't find anything.
> I have this problem whith xfree 4.3 xfree 4.4 and x.org on Fedora, mandrake, debian,
> slackware (9.1/10/current).
>  I  installed last version of dri following
> http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Building but the problem is not resolved.
> I attached the output of glxinfo and xorg.conf
> I don't know what log can be useful for understand the problem, so I attend your
> requests ;)
>
> regards,
>    Luca
>

> PS: Your antispam filter block the smtp server of one of the most used italian
> provider (fastweb 213.140.2.52)

| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |