I tested your patch with Savage, without VesaFB:

# cat /proc/iomem
d0000000-d7ffffff : PCI Bus #01
  d0000000-d7ffffff : 0000:01:00.0
    d0000000-d7ffffff : savage
dc000000-ddffffff : PCI Bus #01
  dd000000-dd07ffff : 0000:01:00.0
    dd000000-dd07ffff : savage

On my notebook, where I have VesaFB loaded, I get this:

# cat /proc/iomem
90000000-9fffffff : PCI Bus #01
  90000000-97ffffff : 0000:01:00.0
    90000000-9017ffff : vesafb
e0000000-efffffff : PCI Bus #01
  e0000000-e007ffff : 0000:01:00.0

The first region (frame buffer and apperture) is claimed (partially) by
vesafb, the second one (MMIO registers) is not claimed at all. I don't
see an obvious way to fix this.

Felix

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:01:18 -0400
Jon Smirl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This should fix it in general for all cards and make it into Linux
> specific code. I gave it a minimal test and it works for me.
>
> If it's working right cat /proc/iomem /proc/ioports will show the
> driver as owning the resources.   pci_request_regions() will fail if
> called in stealth mode so it needs to be protected by !DRM(fb_loaded).
> In stealth mode it's the other drivers responsibility to reserve the
> resources.
>
> Check it in if you like it.
>
> --
> Jon Smirl
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |