On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 16:52, Jon Smirl wrote:
> What do we want to do about drm-core vs the old build model?
>
> There is no real difference between the code in the linux directory
> and linux-core except for the removal of the DRM macros and the
> associated restructuring needed to make everything work. When we get
> linux-core working without problems, it's not there yet, it could
> become the future 2.6 platform if everyone agrees. The impact of the
> linux-core changes are minimal on the board specific code.
>
> For 2.4 there is a choice: continue using the linux directory or
> backport linux-core to 2.4. I don't know how much effort everyone
> wants to put into backporting new driver development to 2.4. There are
> several possible choices:
>
> 1) leave 2.4 alone and stop working on it, 2.4 stays in the linux directory
> 2) declare the DRM version in the linux-2.4 the final version and only
> submit bug patches via the kernel process.
> 3) backport linux-core to 2.4 and so that everything will build on
> both OS's. Some 2.6 kernel changes are starting to make this a very
> cluttered option.
> 4) Make parallel changes to the 2.4 and 2.6 versions.
> 5) other combinations of these
>
> The removal of the DRM macros from files in the shared directory means
> that things can't be shared again unless 2.4/BSD also move the the
> core model. I have no strong opinions on what to do about 2.4. I'll go
> along with whatever the crowd picks.
>
> If the choice is to declare 2.4 finished then there is a lot of cruft
> that can be removed from the 2.6 linux-core code.

When I get some time, I'll probably move the BSD stuff to the core
model.  I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's ok.  The one concern I had
was unconditional dependency on AGP, but I've talked it over and we can
do some reworking in the kernel that we've been saying was necessary
anyway and avoid unconditionally requiring AGP.

I would prefer to see the changes for the core live in shared/ like
always and have the current directories disappear, but it's not a big
deal.

--
Eric Anholt                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         [EMAIL PROTECTED]