On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 15:14, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 11:17, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> >

> >>Hi, Eric!
> >>
> >>Can this be assigned back to you? I have another pair of PCI IDs,
> >>BTW, and I am sure, there are people with shiny new Radeon-9800 out
> >>there too... Yours,
> >>

> >This is not a bug.  The DRM does not support r300-series hardware.
> >Among other things, trying to initialize it with r100 or r200 microcode
> >will probably make it explode in your face.  Now, if this was part of an
> >attempt at getting http://r300.sf.net/ stuff working on FreeBSD, that'd
> >be another thing :)
> >
> No, nothing exploded, but the Xorg server insists on NOT using direct
> rendering on Radeon-9500/9700 cards.
> Which is me :-( The card works fine and I got it to work in dual-head
> mode, but OpenGL performance remains miserable.
>
> Not sure, if upgrading to Xorg-7.8.1 would help me, but eager to try.
> Would you have diffs for the ports? Thanks!

There is no open-source DRI driver for the r300 (9500+) series cards,
which is why the X Server doesn't try to enable DRI.  r300.sf.net is a
project to work on that, but they aren't to the point of accelerating
anything yet afaik -- just REing.

(also, 6.8.1 is the latest X.Org release)

--
Eric Anholt                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         [EMAIL PROTECTED]