On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Chris Ison wrote:

I am interested in helping in getting DRI working with different ATI chipsets.
I have at my disposal the following.

Radeon 9000 PCI
Radeon 9200se AGP
Radeon 9600XT

If someone can inform me as to how I would go about reverse engineering the
windows drivers, I could write small programs to hunt specifics on what each
card does for specific OpenGL instruction sets, and forward those on. I believe
this to be the safest way.

Well, only if you like tinkering with Windows driver code ;)

The thing is you can study ATI hardware in Linux (as they provide binary-only drivers). The tools to help you (and instructions) are at r300.sf.net .

Furthermore, Nicolai Haehnle had done a lot of work putting together a register header with a lot of notes.

There are two areas where would be (relatively) easy to start:

* jump in and try to modify Nicolai's 3d driver to support more functions (so far it only does depth clears)

* get r300_demo working on your hardware and play with your card
using Nicolai's header - for example trying to generalize texture-mapping
functions or getting comformable with pixel or vertex shaders. AFAIK,
r300_demo is easier to work with than a whole 3d driver, but maybe it is only my opinion, I have not had much time to try out Nicolai's code (sorry !).

                   best

                      Vladimir Dergachev