If so, this would suck majorly, especially if there is no temperature sensor to tell how loaded the card is.

                        best

Vladimir Dergachev

Well, it seems unlikely that it was/is temperature related (my most recent test didn't lock up, so something may have been modified in the last 24 hours to fix it). I actually have a small cooling fan in the slot below the graphics card simply because my 9200 (with no fan) *would* overheat.. So now I have a 9800, with a fan and heat sink, an open case on my desktop (with a desk fan pointed at the desk) and a smaller cooling fan in the PCI slot :-)

What happenned in the last 24 hours is that Boris Peterbarg has committed a patch that switched us back to immediate mode by default. (This was not 100% intentional - immediate mode is only one that works for him and the #ifdef change slipped through together with new texture formats. However, once it is there we can leave it as is for now).

Vertex buffer code is still the right way to go and needs to be debugged properly, but many people (including myself) have lockups with it enabled.

On the other hand Ben Skeggs (who developed this code) does not get lockups, so there is at least one person for whom it works. Also I do not get lockups right away but only after a while, however they are "hard" - no clean reboot possible.

                         best

                            Vladimir Dergachev

Adam