Dave Airlie wrote:
Hi,
        Well I spent the day hacking and managed to get Xgl running on top
of Mesa solo, the solo stuff I've checked into Mesa,

Neat!

The glitz backend for miniglx and the Xserver miniglx stuff are up at
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied/patches/xminiglx/

There is no input hooked up to it yet.. a Linux /dev/input hook mightn't
be that hard to do, I wonder though whether trying to work with the
kdrive stuff that is already there might be a better option, I see keithp
committed some event device stuff recently.

I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to do anything else on it... I'm sure
the miniglx backend could be cleaned up a bit.. (i.e. I hacked a lot of it
out as miniglx doesn't support it ..)

In your other message, you wrote:

building an Xserver on top of mesa solo is a bit of a nightmare in terms
of includes and defines .. as an Xserver requires all the X types to build
but solo has its own set of defines/typedefs that don't match what the
Xserver has... so calling XCreateWindow is a bit painful for example...
glitz-glx also includes X headers... (not sure if it really needs them as
glx.h should pull in any necessary headers...

I've mentioned this before: my thinking is that for the long term, mini GLX could/should be replaced by a different API, such as EGL (from OpenGL-ES) plus a few extensions.

Mini GLX is a hack. It filled a specific need when it was created but I'm not sure it's an appropriate base for large projects.

An enhanced EGL interface could be a nice clean foundation. Xgl could layer upon it and other people could use it as-is for projects where X isn't wanted. Hopefully, other IHVs would adopt/implement it too.

What do you think of something like that, Dave?

-Brian

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click -- _______________________________________________ Dri-devel mailing list Dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dri-devel