1) Try updating r300_driver (or checking out a fresh copy - maybe
       SourceForge lags a little.

    2) Check which version of the driver is loading. Did it initialize ok ?
       My dmesg looks like this:

I updated again, but I get only this line on the new drm initialization: [drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925

The old initialization looks like yours, just with the radeon version being 1.12.1 20041216

This would imply that, somehow, you are loading old radeon code. Which command are you using to load it ?

                      best

                        Vladimir Dergachev

Boris Peterbarg