On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 13:53 -0500, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dnzer wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 01:50 +0100, Rune Petersen wrote:
> >>
> >>      if ( (info->ChipFamily == CHIP_FAMILY_R300) ||
> >>     (info->ChipFamily == CHIP_FAMILY_R350) ||
> >> -   (info->ChipFamily == CHIP_FAMILY_RV350) )
> >> +   (info->ChipFamily == CHIP_FAMILY_RV350) ||
> >> +   (info->ChipFamily == CHIP_FAMILY_R420) )
> >>         drmInfo.func             = DRM_RADEON_INIT_R300_CP;
> >>      else
> >>      if ( info->ChipFamily >= CHIP_FAMILY_R200 )
> >
> > Why not just test for info->ChipFamily >= CHIP_FAMILY_R300 instead of
> > for every R300 family explicitly? Otherwise, it looks like the R200
> > microcode will be used, which is certainly wrong... Incidentally, I
> > think the R300 check in RADEONDRIScreenInit() should be moved to the top
> > as well, or the IGP and R200 checks will preempt it?
>
> I was afraid that R300 microcode would not work for newer cards as my
> understanding of it is somewhat limited. Do you think it would be safe to
> load an older microcode to a newer card ?

No, as I said above.

> Upon a closer look it appears that this part only affects the choice of
> the microcode, so in a way, your suggestion would avoid loading the really
> old Radeon microcode.

Yes, this code only decides between the supported microcode versions. If
there will be any chips in the future for which neither of the current
choices work, the DRI will likely have to be disabled for them anyway.

> As for DRIScreenInit - I looked at the code again and its logic appears
> correct to me, could you elaborate a bit where you would like the R300
> check to appear ?

        if (info->IsIGP) {
            req_minor = 10;
            req_patch = 0;
        } else if (info->ChipFamily >= CHIP_FAMILY_R200) {
            req_minor = 5;
            req_patch = 0;
        } else if (info->ChipFamily >= CHIP_FAMILY_R300) {
           req_minor = 12;
           req_patch = 0;
        } else {

The IGP and R200 cases will match before the R300 case. The order should
be from highest to lowest required DRM version.

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer