On Tuesday 19 April 2005 20:03, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > > 2) xf86dri.h and XF86dri.c that are part of mesa.
> > > 3) Some of the dri utils from mesa, basically to handle basic drawable
> > > management and locking.
> > >
> > > While doing this I notice that some (3) functions in XF86dri.c are
> > > depending on Mesa headers and datatypes, and this does not seem to be
> > > part of the original design, since it makes these files unusable
> > > outside Mesa. These are
> > >
> > > XF86DRICreateDrawable
> > > XF86DRIDestroyDrawable
> > > XF86DRICreateContext
>
> I had a few others recently in my getting Radeon vha working, I used a few
> XF86DRI functions, for now I've just linked libGL but I would like to see
> them in a low level library..

My issue with exposing XF86DRI* as they are now is that they're direct
bindings to the XFree86-DRI protocol, which I don't think should be
app-visible at all.  Consider the possibility of someone wanting to write a
DRI server that was not an X server.  We should be enabling our competition.

Hrm.  Conceptually these are really distinct from libdrm.  They're requests to
a DRI server, not to a DRM kernel service.  I'm not so sure how I feel about
this anymore.

- ajax