Nope. Toggling that option back and forth does not change things.
The synchronize graphics hardware and floating point depth buffer
options don't seem to do anything either.

I have a modified testcase that reproducibly generates the same dropped
polygons (on my hardware) every time it's run and without user
interaction:
http://69.5.151.193:81/~sdh4/aviascene_savagebug.tar.gz
( type 'make' followed by 'aviascene castle_demo.cfg' )

        Steve