Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

In the past I found useful not to turn drm debugging on, but, rather,
insert printk statements in various place in radeon code. This should
also provide more information about what is actually going on.

I can't make any promises.  My partner already thinks I spend too much
time in front of the computer :-) I'll see what I can do, though. Think a
printk statement at the start and end of every function?  Have any

This is probably overkill and might not be very useful

Rather try, at first, to just print a printk logging which command is being executed (r300_cmd.c) - this is not very thorough, but, maybe, there is a pattern.

I added a printk for each function in r300_cmdbuf.c... When Q3A locked up, and the last thing showing up in syslog was r300_pacify. So I added printk's after every line in r300_pacify :-) The last thing in syslog was:

OUT_RING( CP_PACKET3( RADEON_CP_NOP, 0 ) )
OUT_RING( 0x0 )
ADVANCE_RING()

So it seems to be making it all the way through r300_pacify, which had been called from r300_check_range, from r300_emit_unchecked_state.

Here's the sequence:
r300_emit_raw
r300_emit_packet3
r300_emit_raw
r300_emit_unchecked_state
r300_check_range
r300_emit_unchecked_state
r300_check_range
r300_pacify
RING_LOCALS
BEGIN_RING(6)
OUT_RING( CP_PACKET0( R300_RB3D_DSTCACHE_CTLSTAT, 0 ) )
OUT_RING( 0xa )
OUT_RING( CP_PACKET0( 0x4f18, 0 ) )
OUT_RING( 0x3 )
OUT_RING( CP_PACKET3( RADEON_CP_NOP, 0 ) )
OUT_RING( 0x0 )
ADVANCE_RING()
Does this tell us anything?

Adam

By the way, this was consisten in all four lockups I've experienced since making these changes.

Adam