Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

Nicolai Haehnle wrote:

What you can do: Please, test the attached patch.drm-cmdbuf-more-pacifiers, and report if there are any regressions (I don't believe there are any) and/or if it removes certain lockups you are seeing.

Well, it's hard for me to judge this patch :-) I played Q3A for just over 20 minutes without a single lockup, something I don't think I've accomplished before. I quit that and then tried UT... Which lasted for all of a minute or two before locking up. I rebooted and tried again and got a lockup after only a few minutes.

Are you doing a cold restart ?

I would help a lot if you could try this with glxgears and/or quake3:

I just gave it a shot with UnrealTournament. I'll try with Q3A in a little bit

 * cold restart
 * start one of 3d programs
   measure time before lockup

2 minutes... That's with just twm, an xterm, and UT running. I'm not even using half of my systems memory at the time of the lockup (about 400 megs of the 1 gig). Nothing being swapped.

 * cold restart

 * put some memory pressure to mix things up - I would suggest loading
   a few files in OpenOffice, opening gimp with large pictures, etc,
   until most of memory is used up.

   use "quiet" programs (like word processors or spreadsheets) that can
   be swapped out.

 * start one of 3d programs, measure time before lockups.

Less than 30 seconds. This time I have KDE, openoffice, abiword, gimp, gv, epiphany, mozilla, firefox, thunderbird, and a few other apps running in the background. Amazingly, I still wasn't swapping. When the lockup occurred, I was using 1021364k of 1034532k according to top.
Now to see if I can repeat the results with Q3A.

Adam