On Friday 17 June 2005 22:39, Jon Smirl wrote:
> I'm working on making EGL run non-root. Now I'm up against the IOCTLs
> in DRM marked root only. DRM is a master/slave model, so this is
> really a list of the master only calls.
>
> With EGL the first app to open the DRI device is master, and later
> openers are slaves. To make EGL work PAM assigns you ownership of the
> DRI device so that you can open it.
>
> Does anyone know if there are reasons why you really have to have root
> priv to make any of these calls?

drmAddMap has to be root-only because it's mapping device memory into
userspace (can trigger bus-master writes, blah blah, root escalation).  I
think that's the only one that _really_ needs it, and to be honest those
mappings should get set up from the DRM side anyway and AddMap should just
die.

- ajax