On 6/22/05, Jon Smirl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Adding a new map type "so that you can tell them apart" doesn't make a
> > lot of sense to me.  Won't two different maps have different offsets?
> > Isn't that enough to differentiate between them?
>
> Yes the offsets will be different. But how does user space know which
> one is being used for sarea and which for xvideo support?
>
> We could use a flag instead of map type but we are running out of
> flags. There are 1,000s of map types available.

How about a new driver private flag instead of a map type?
        _DRM_PRIVATE = 0x80          /**< Driver private mapping */

That is more generic than doing something specific for x video.

Drivers using this will expose two maps of type DRM_SHM. The public
one will be sarea and the private one will be driver specific. For
backward compatibility the bit is clear for the public sarea map.

When doing GetMap from user space the loop will need to take into
account multiple maps of the same type and then differentiate on the
flags.

--
Jon Smirl