Paul Mackerras writes:
 > Dave Airlie writes:
 >
 > > The changes to types need to clarify what exactly breaks where, I'm not as
 > > worried about the interactions between X and Mesa as I am about old
 > > Xs and new kernels...
 >
 > And in context, this comes down to the expectations of existing 64-bit
 > X servers and DRI clients on 64-bit kernels with respect to how map
 > handles and mmap offsets can be generated and used.  I know people are
 > currently using 64-bit X servers and DRI clients on x86_64 machines at
 > least.  I'm pretty sure that userspace currently expects to be able to
 > use framebuffer and register physical addresses as the offset in an
 > mmap on /dev/dri/card0, and to be able to add an offset to a map
 > handle for an AGP mapping and use that as an offset for mmap.  At
 > least the radeon driver does this IIRC.

If there was such a case I must have missed it.
The only driver where I came across something like this was in
the MGA driver. So I made sure that values that fit into 32bit
remained unchanged if possible.
At the same time I fixed the driver code to obtain the address
from some different source - which was entirely possible.

Also 64bit offsets that don't fit into 32bit won't do you any good
in 32bit as you cannot mmap() them.

 > And you are right, if we make an incompatible change to the
 > user/kernel ABI in the middle of a stable kernel series, people will
 > scream, and rightly so.

That's not my plan.

       Egbert.