On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:38:38 +0200
Roland Scheidegger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Aapo Tahkola wrote:
> >>That's true, but to avoid the huge drops you could also just decrease
> >>texture detail. Or implement the second texture heap in main memory and
> >>use gart texturing (though you'd also need to manually increase the gart
> >>size). There are some problems with that for r200, and the strategy for
> >>what textures to put where may not be optimal currently, but the drops
> >>should be gone.
> >>That said, the performance in ut2k4 is probably really slow (apart from
> >>that problem) due to deficiencies in drawArrays handling, at least that
> >>was the case for r200 last time I checked...
> >

> > First "hack" attempts to improve it.
> >
> > Later two patches workaround RADEON_BUFFER_SIZE limit.
> > While this actually appears to work theres no speed boost in general.
>
> That's what I found out some time ago as well, I did pretty similar
> changes (basically bring back that start value). Once upon a time I also
> had a hack so mesa could handle GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT elements lists
> natively (no more converting them with _ac_import_elements to
> UNSIGNED_INT and later back to shorts again in the driver) without any
> success neither.
> I never really found out why the old mesa code was 2 times faster :-(.

First patch is working alright.
without(ut2k3, citadel):
7.339034 / 20.030720 / 164.477829 fps -- Score = 19.973906
rand[1492594185]
and with:
11.727319 / 31.931662 / 223.457932 fps -- Score = 31.496284
rand[31108770]

What I dont know is why dma_ext doesnt speed up things where
fallback_drawarrays would clearly get lots of hits.

--
Aapo Tahkola