Matthias Hopf wrote:
On Jul 28, 05 11:52:10 +0200, Wladimir van der Laan wrote:

This is the sound of me hating ATI for making such useless pixel
 shaders.

R200 did not really have pixel shaders. They had a configurable pixel
pipeline, that's different. Comparable to GeForce2, a little bit better.
Looks better to me than GeForce3/4, really, if only for the dependant
texture read. You nowadays indeed have (directx) games which have PS 1.4
(thus r200) as minimum, but won't work on GF3/4.

The GeForce3 had 3D textures (except for an early sample we had at Unversity :-/ ), and IIRC this was before the Radeon7500.
If the Radeon7500 has it, the radeon 7200 (radeon sdr/ddr as it was called) should have it too. And that was certainly way before geforce3. It can also do some environment bump mapping (the open-source driver can't, though).

Well - sort of. R300 still does not do IEEE computations in its pixel
 shader (I think R400 doesn't either), which gives you crappy results
 for GPGPU applications.
True, but that's not really what these cards are intended for. R300 does nice fast fp24 calculations, with FX5 you could choose between really slow fp16 and even slower fp32 :-). Oh or you could choose quite fast int8...

ATI their Linux drivers are a crippled bunch, that's for a fact, and that's a big reason why open source r300 drivers get so much attention. But don't offend their chip designers :)

Yep. They used to do good hardware. Have fallen behind a bit compared
 to GeForce6, but not much.
Well, r520 should do fp32, longer shaders and what not. The chip's late though, we'll see.

Roland
(is it only me or is this all "slightly" offtopic?)