On 8/5/05, Steven Newbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > You may also want to take a look at my unfinished radeon tv-out patch:
> >
> > http://www.botchco.com/alex/xorg/radeon_tvout.c
> > http://www.botchco.com/alex/xorg/radeon_tvout.h
> > http://www.botchco.com/alex/xorg/radeon_tvout.diff
> >
> > one of the regs (DAC2 I think) has an option to be sourced to either a
> > crtc or directly to the linear transform unit.
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > On 6/9/05, Vladimir Dergachev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > There is an option "composite_sync" - take a look there.
> > >
> > > As for Y Cb Cr, I would expect this is implemented as some sort of
> > > transform before output. I.e. the chip still thinks it is outputting R, G,
> > > B, just weird R G B values.
> > >
> > > In particular take a look at how gamma support is implemented in the
> > > Radeon driver for newer chipsets, it might shed some clues.
>
> OK.  I've finally got the time (and Internet connection!) to look at this
> again, but I need some more help.
>
> The "composite_sync" option only seems to relate to old hw like mach64.  The
> register it toggles is listed as 0x100 in atiregs.h but is missing from
> radeon_reg.h.  I've tried poking around but haven't managed to find anything
> that works as yet.  I know the TV will sync to a VGA composite signal just the
> colours will be very wrong, the Sony PS2 _only_ outputs in composite sync and
> I've played around with that quite a bit.
>
> Alex, I'm sure your approach is the likely to be correct but I don't really
> know where to go from here.  Should I just keep trying to set random registers
> or do you have some idea what I should do?

Unforunately, most of the tv-out and compoent out is undocumented, or
we have limited documentation, but no real guid as to how everything
needs to be programmed.  One of the Gatos guys got regular tv-out
working and Rune Peterson keeps a relatively up to date tv-out patch
here:
http://megahurts.dk/rune/tv_output.html
that might be of some help.

> I did notice in your tvout patch:
>  #define RADEON_TV_DAC_CNTL                  0x088c
> -#       define RADEON_TV_DAC_STD_MASK       0x0300
> +#       define RADEON_TV_DAC_BLANK          (1 <<  0)
> +#       define RADEON_TV_DAC_HOLD           (1 <<  1)
> +#       define RADEON_TV_DAC_PEDESTAL       (1 <<  2)
> +#       define RADEON_TV_MONITOR_DETECT_EN  (1 <<  4)
> +#       define RADEON_TV_DAC_CMPOUT         (1 <<  5)     <-- related?
>  #       define RADEON_TV_DAC_BGSLEEP        (1 <<  6)
> +#       define RADEON_TV_DAC_STD_MASK       0x0300
> +#       define RADEON_TV_DAC_STD_NTSC       (1 <<  8)
>  #       define RADEON_TV_DAC_RDACPD         (1 <<  24)
>  #       define RADEON_TV_DAC_GDACPD         (1 <<  25)
>  #       define RADEON_TV_DAC_BDACPD         (1 <<  26)
>
> Could RADEON_TV_DAC_CMPOUT be related to composite output or is it only for
> the
> TV-out encoder hardware?

I'm not sure.  On the newer r4xx hardware component output is handled
by the tv-encoder.  I'm not sure how it worked on older hardware.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated, at the moment I'm forced to use the
> vesa
> driver in order to at least use s-video out to get any picture at all, it
> doesn't work well, no video scaling/colour conversion, no 3D or even 2D
> acceleration etc etc.  TV-out would be better than what I have right now but
> I'd really like to get it working with components, it should be easier
> anyway, no?

Not really.  Ati hasn't released any information about setting up the
chip for component output.  Perhaps you can dump the radeon registers
in windows and compare how that driver sets things up, or perhaps the
fglrx driver supports component out too and you could use the register
dump tools from the r300 project.

Alex