On Maw, 2005-08-23 at 20:45 +0300, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> Is there any way to make that work without going to the kernel for each
> allocation? Personally I'd like to have the protection even if it
> degrades performance slightly.

X allows applications to read the displayed video memory anyway so what
is the big deal here ?

You can do memory protection outside of command streams pretty cheaply.
If the DRM kernel modules controls which blocks of video ram are mapped
into which task then you get memory protection. You will need some kind
of reclaim handler to steal memory from other tasks and revoke their
pages. That *is* expensive especialy on SMP.