Adam Jackson wrote:

3) What about libXF86DRI? To make a DRI client you need libdrm and a hypothetical libXF86DRI to get the functions such as XF86DRIOpenConnection. Clearly you'd want to rename the functions to something like XDRIOpenConnection(), but getting a library that can be linked by other clients would be nice.

I go back and forth on this. My concern is that the DRI protocol really shouldn't be user visible at all. In fact I'm largely of the opinion that the DRI protocol was a mistake. Almost all of it should have been either inferred from existing GLX protocol (drawable and context ops) or added as GLX extensions as an implementation detail (driver name and authentication).

Actually having a small libXF86DRI or whatever would make it quite easy for any small client to use DRI.

For the via XvMC drivers I've copied the client DRI protocol implementation from the Mesa drivers, renaming the functions to prevent name clashes with media players that use both OpenGL and XvMC. The protocol is used for initialization and to get drawable information.

But again, since it has nothing to do with the kernel interface so it should probably not be part of libdrm.

/Thomas