I've been looking at my remaining lockups, and find that I keep coming back to
the use of scratch registers in the driver for one of them.

If I'm reading the code correctly,  the scratch registers are per device, not
per client.  This would mean that you can't run more then one client without
the potential of one stepping on the other.

My read of the MESA code suggests that a stepped on client could then stall
out waiting for a condition that would probably never happen
(non-deterministic anyway).

Does this sound correct, or am I missing something?