On 12/13/05, Ben Gamari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a college student looking for a bit of a project to tackle over
> winter break (having no car really sucks) with quite a bit of
> programming experience. While I have never worked with driver
> development, I have a good working knowledge of graphics hardware and
> architecture. My laptop having a Radeon Mobility X300, I have an
> interest in advancing X300 support, in particular the RENDER extension
> (3D I suspect is a little over my head). Are there any roadblocks in the
> way of moving forward with RENDER support in the DRI drivers? Or perhaps
> more importantly, is a relative graphics novice such as myself capable
> of X300 RENDER development? If so, where is a good place to start? I

If you have a decent understanding of render and how xorg drivers are
organized you should be ok.  the other drivers with exa and render
support are a good model of comparison.

> understand that there are no specs for the X300 (at least on the 3D
> side, is the 2D engine documented?), so does most work come from reverse

2D specs used to be available via NDA from ATI, but I doubt you'll
have much luck getting them.  that said, you really don't need them as
the radeon driver is well documented and pretty clear.  All radeons up
through the r4xx models have the same basic display engine (even
rage128 for that matter).

> engineering the ATI binary driver? What tools can be used in tracing the
> operation of the driver? Does it entail just tracing the instruction
> flow with a disassembler? I look forward to hopefully working with you
> guys in the future (exams end next Thursday :( ) Thanks for your time,

there should be enough information in the r300 mesa 3d driver to
implement exa render accel.  basically just look at how it's done for
r100 and r200 and fill in a new section for r300.

Alex