Hi All,

I am a college student looking for a bit of a project to tackle over
winter break (having no car really sucks) with quite a bit of
programming experience. While I have never worked with driver
development, I have a good working knowledge of graphics hardware and
architecture. My laptop having a Radeon Mobility X300, I have an
interest in advancing X300 support, in particular the RENDER extension
(3D I suspect is a little over my head). Are there any roadblocks in the
way of moving forward with RENDER support in the DRI drivers? Or perhaps
more importantly, is a relative graphics novice such as myself capable
of X300 RENDER development? If so, where is a good place to start? I
understand that there are no specs for the X300 (at least on the 3D
side, is the 2D engine documented?), so does most work come from reverse
engineering the ATI binary driver? What tools can be used in tracing the
operation of the driver? Does it entail just tracing the instruction
flow with a disassembler? I look forward to hopefully working with you
guys in the future (exams end next Thursday :( ) Thanks for your time,

- Ben Gamari