Am Donnerstag, den 29.12.2005, 20:40 -0500 schrieb Adam K Kirchhoff:
[snip]
> > What's really bizarre, however, is that if I set hw.dri.0.debug to 1,
> > glxgears gets roughly 200 FPS, faster than software Mesa, but slower
> > than it can get (undoubtedly due to the massive amounts of debugging
> > information that the kernel is logging).
> >
> > I tried a few more GL programs, all from the xscreensaver package.
> > glforestfire also appear to display less than a frame per second.
> > Same with flip-flop and flyingtoasters.  flurry, on the other hand, is
> > quite smooth and the FPS meter shows roughly 30 fps.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thanks!
>

> So not only does setting the debug sysctl seem to affect the framerate,
> so does displaying the framerate within the application.  If I launch
> any of those xscreensaver apps with the -fps option (including flurry,
> glforestfire, flipflop, queens, and flyingtoasters), I get quite
> reasonable framerates.  If I launch them without the -fps option, I get
> 1 FPS if I'm lucky (and I mean that literally...  The window only
> updates itself once every second, if that).

-fps causes a software fallback which implies a glFinish. Without -fps
it hits no software fallbacks and interrupt-based frame-throttling will
be used. Maybe interrupts get lost so that you time-out in the
frame-throttling code (radeon_wait_irq has a 3-second time-out ATM).
That would explain low frame rates. With debugging output the waiting
condition is probably true when it gets to radeon_wait_irq most of the
time, so it doesn't have to wait -> no time-out. Can you try playing
with the fthrottle_mode option to test that theory anyway.

  fthrottle_mode=0 glxgears

would run glxgears with busy-waiting instead of interrupts.

Regards,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |