Felix Kühling wrote:

Am Donnerstag, den 29.12.2005, 20:40 -0500 schrieb Adam K Kirchhoff:
[snip]
What's really bizarre, however, is that if I set hw.dri.0.debug to 1, glxgears gets roughly 200 FPS, faster than software Mesa, but slower than it can get (undoubtedly due to the massive amounts of debugging information that the kernel is logging).

I tried a few more GL programs, all from the xscreensaver package. glforestfire also appear to display less than a frame per second. Same with flip-flop and flyingtoasters. flurry, on the other hand, is quite smooth and the FPS meter shows roughly 30 fps.

Any ideas?  Thanks!
So not only does setting the debug sysctl seem to affect the framerate, so does displaying the framerate within the application. If I launch any of those xscreensaver apps with the -fps option (including flurry, glforestfire, flipflop, queens, and flyingtoasters), I get quite reasonable framerates. If I launch them without the -fps option, I get 1 FPS if I'm lucky (and I mean that literally... The window only updates itself once every second, if that).

-fps causes a software fallback which implies a glFinish. Without -fps
it hits no software fallbacks and interrupt-based frame-throttling will
be used. Maybe interrupts get lost so that you time-out in the
frame-throttling code (radeon_wait_irq has a 3-second time-out ATM).
That would explain low frame rates. With debugging output the waiting
condition is probably true when it gets to radeon_wait_irq most of the
time, so it doesn't have to wait -> no time-out. Can you try playing
with the fthrottle_mode option to test that theory anyway.

 fthrottle_mode=0 glxgears

would run glxgears with busy-waiting instead of interrupts.

Regards,
 Felix

glxgears (and the few other GL apps I've just tried) runs much more like expected with fthrottle_mode set to 0 :-)

Adam