Keith Whitwell wrote:
Right now, I'm primarily concerned with unified memory chipsets, like
i915 and via. This memory manager would be suitable for managing the
AGP memory on non-unified chipsets, but a different implementation
would be needed for the on-card video ram, based more on dma and
copying than map/unmapping as will be seen below.
I'm not sure I quite understand that, do you propose completely separate managers for handling agp and video ram? I think this introduces some problems for things which can be both in agp or video ram. Some cards for instance may be able to render to agp memory, though the performance hit may be so big that you really want to use video memory unless you simply don't have enough video mem. A very common case which can use both video memory and agp memory are textures, for performance reasons you usually want to place them in video memory, but putting some textures into agp memory is a lot faster than texture thrashing. I guess you could handle that at the driver level (since it has always access to "all" ram) but performance may potentially suffer quite a bit if multiple apps are running at the same time which stomp over each others buffer (which could be better avoided with a coordinated scheme by allocating some buffers in agp memory instead of video ram).

Roland