Actually, I've been having trouble with my Xpress 200M locking up in 2D mode. I'm still trying to determine what the cause of the lockup is. If you're looking for something supported by other than the fglrx driver, I would steer clear of the 200M for a while.

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists-at-hispeed.ch |rivatv-devel| wrote:
John Clemens wrote:

There was a post on this list at the end of december(?) indicating that ATI was not interested in helping open source with 3D specs anymore.. I'm guessing they didn't do much with the r300 line either.. but does anyone know anything or have any official word on whether the r500 series of radeon cards will ever be supported by anything other than fglrx for 3D? Any official word from ATI? Is anything known about these cards?

I ask because my ibook g3 is getting a bit long in the tooth, and since my non-x86 options for laptops are fast approaching 0, I'm looking for a turion notebook with a supported chipset. I'm debating about going cheaper with a radeon 200M (which i think has an undocumented memory controller and thus doesn't work even though it's an r300 core?), or the MSI-1029 with an X700 (which is supported by r300, right?). But, the 1029 is about to be replaced with the 1039 which comes with the new X1600, so I'd like to know if I have to move before the 1029 disappears, or if i can wait a little while.

Both xpress 200m and x700 should at least work for 2d, and the x700 hopefully for 3d too (some people still don't have luck with them it seems). There is not much hope of getting the X1xxx chips to work anytime soon, even for 2d, as they are believed to be much different (especially as far as modesetting/2d is concerned, radeon 7200 to radeon x850 are nearly identical there). You can always use vesa driver, which of course totally sucks, and there's a high probability you couldn't even use the display's native resolution with that. Fglrx should support it at some point, but an ATI employee stated it will take a couple of driver revisions, which I interpret as something up to half a year.

Roland