On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 09:33 -0700, Brian Paul wrote:

> AFAIK, nobody's hardware does that.
>
> When that kind of antialiasing is done for text, I think it's the job
> of the font rendering code to do so.

It's not the construction of the glyphs that's at issue here, I don't
think. The glyphs are drawn to the screen using a separate alpha channel
for each component in the pixel, an operation which isn't directly
supported by the GL API at present. I don't know what we'd need in the
hardware for this to be efficient though; I believe it is possible to do
it today using three passes for each string, which seems horrendous
until you realize how slow it will be to do the same thing with the CPU.