Alvaro Kuolas wrote:
Hello to everyone!

Currently I'm searching for a good video card, but I'm not interested in
performance: I wan't it to be well documented.
I now that 3dfx ones are well documented, I need something new, but no
new new.
What is the best video card for using it on DRI?
How good is a r200 or a r300 based video card in terms of "well
documented by ATI"?

In my inventory i have: 3D Blaster Banshee 16MiB SGRAM (3Dfx Voodoo Banshee)
                                     Diamond Stealth III S540 32MiB
SDRAM (S3 Graphics Savage4 Pro+)
                                     Unknown Brand S3 Trio64V+ 1MiB
                                     Power3D TNT2 M64 32MiB SDRAM
                                     If it counts: CirrusLogic CL-GD5424
512KiB
                                                        CirrusLogic
CL-GD5428 1MiB

I've always complaint on ATI, about not releasing good documents and/or
good drivers (and still is the case). But now the TNT2 (TNT, TNT2,
GeForce 256, GeForce2) since ForceWare 75 (Linux Driver 71.74 is the
last) ins not supported. They dropped support for it.
Anybody knows if nvidia is dropping docs too? What will be to these
"unsupported" video cards?

You might also consider getting a motherboard with an Intel graphics chip. They're pretty well covered by the DRI drivers and may be the first to expose advanced GL features like framebuffer objects.

-Brian