Jacek Poplawski wrote:
> I use 9800 Pro and it works stable under two circumstances:
>
> - start X with fglrx once (I put it in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local)

Unfortunately, that's not an option for users where fglrx won't work :-)

> - avoid some applications
>
> Stuff like Blender, Enemy Territory or NeverBall works great. Stuff
> like Cube works without acceleration. Stuff like oolite crashes whole
> system.
>
> Oh, and you have to set R300_FORCE_R300, I have no idea why this is
> still required.

It's required so that unsuspecting 9800 users won't get lockups when
using various applications.

It's interesting that both Blender and Neverball work for you.  I tried
them (about a month ago) with the r300 driver from CVS, and was getting
immediate lockups when launching those two applications.

I'll update my drivers and give them another shot tomorrow.

Adam