Jacek Poplawski wrote:

>     Hardware acceleration is always on assuming your system is set up
>     properly.  If an application uses a feature that is not supported by
>     hardware, you have to fall back to software if you want the
>     application to run.
>

> But in that case many applications won't run correctly, because they are
> tested with propertary nVidia/ATI drivers, and their authors don't know
> / don't care about open source drivers. And it is not possible to fix
> closed source application.

Sometimes particular graphics hardware isn't even fast enough to give
decent performance, nevermind hardware vs. software paths.

Ideally, an application should either measure its own performance and
  automatically scale back rendering or give the user the option to do
so manually.

To address this thread's subject, I don't think a driver should just
ignore particular OpenGL features when they may be slow.  I'd rather
have a slow OpenGL driver than one that just drops features/rendering
on the floor.

> Is there any "layer" between application and OpenGL implementation which
> may process OpenGL calls and "emulate" some of them (i.e. draw normal
> lines instead smooth ones)?
> Maybe a wrapper - /usr/lib/libGL.so library which will use
> /usr/lib/libGL- original.so library?

Chromium (http://sourceforge.net/projects/chromium) can be used to
intercept/change OpenGL calls.

> Or is it completly wrong idea?

I don't think it's something most people want to mess with.

-Brian