On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 12:14 -0500, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> So something occurred to me last night...  I've seen these same symptoms
> before when trying to get DRI working on FreeBSD a long time ago... On
> another machine, if I accidentally had the AGPSize set to a value higher
> than was set in the BIOS, I saw the exact same problem in FreeBSD (but
> not in Linux, which didn't have any problem with that particular
> situation).  I don't have any config options set for GARTSize, but could
> something similar be happening now?

I think that's unlikely with PCIe, although my first guess would have
been something related to GART as well given that the same configuration
seems to run or not depending on the OS. Maybe the OSs set up something
differently related to PCIe.

> >     I'm having a problem getting direct rendering working on one of my
> > workstations.  I'm running FreeBSD -CURRENT from November 17th with Xorg
> > installed from the modular Xorg ports tree yesterday (though I first
> > noticed this a couple weeks back when I built modular Xorg using
> > jhbuild):

If you're saying that some previous version worked with the same
configuration, could you try isolating the regression with git-bisect?

> > If I boot up with DRI enabled in the config file, the server starts, but
> > the very top of the screen shows some visual corruption.
> >
> > http://www.visualtech.com/screenshot.png
> >
> > I dropped the resolution of the image from 2304x864 to 1600x800, but you
> > can still make out the corruption.  What's particularly odd, though, is
> > that the root window is never drawn.  The background you see is actually
> > the background from my previous X session (when I had DRI disabled),
> > using windowmaker.  This time I launched X and had fvwm2 in my .xinitrc
> > file (you can see the outline of the fvwm pager in the screenshot,
> > though that never finished drawing, either).
> >
> > After that nothing else gets drawn.

Sounds like a GPU hang/lockup.

> > I can move the mouse pointer, but that's about it.  I can safely kill X
> > and restart it, but the same thing happens unless I disable DRI.

That's a relatively graceful way for it to deal with the above
though. :}

> > This seems to be a FreeBSD specific problem as the same PCIe x800 works
> > fine with the OSS drivers under Linux, but no on on the freebsd-x11
> > lists seems to have any ideas, and I'm running out of ideas.  I thought
> > some of the great minds on this list might be able to shed some light.

Any interesting differences between the server log files, DRM related
kernel output etc. between OSs?