On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 12:35 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> [...] like Michel said, if only one pipe's vblank is
> enabled, only the primary vblank counter should be updated (regardless
> of *which* vblank count is enabled).  But maybe that can be done at a
> higher level, or maybe we can change that behavior and just make things
> per-crtc as I've done with most of the code.

Yeah, the above is just an i915 specific attempt to provide backwards
compatibility for old 2D and 3D drivers that didn't (fully) support
vblank interrupts on both pipes. The current 2D driver only enables the
interrupt on pipe B together with pipe A, and the current i915 3D
drivers can handle it as well. That leaves the i965 3D driver for now.

One way to prevent unsupported combinations from timing out could be for
the driver enable_vblank hook to return failure when the CRTC is
inactive and the core to return immediately in that case.