Hi,

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:31:01PM +0200, Jerome Glisse wrote:

> There should be master (possibly one for each card) which be the only
> one being able to do this call:
> DRM_IOCTL_MODE_SETCRTC - set CRTC parameters
[...]
> master (big boss)
>   - X server (got its framebuffer)
>      - X application
>         - sub GL window of this application (might want to have its
> framebuffer)
>      - GL application (dri) client running X application (got its
> framebuffer which
>        can used as a texture by the compositor, hello redirected direct
> rendering :))
>   - EGL program (got its framebuffer)
>   - Console (got its framebuffer)
>   - GL app offscreen rendering (no framebuffer for scanout)

I fail to understand why you want to put the manager in a daemon,
instead of just letting the kernel do the management, like it does for
all other hardware. Why is graphics hardware supposed to be different in
this regard?

It just doesn't make sense to have console setup and console switching
-- which, on a monolithic system, is part of the kernel -- depend on a
userspace daemon. This would be almost as bad as the current situation,
where a userspace daemon called "X server" is doing all the
management...

-antrik-