On Thursday, November 01, 2007 12:06 Mathieu Bérard wrote:
> Jesse Barnes a écrit :
> >> Forgive my lack of global understanding of the whole issue but my
> >> conclusion is that we just can't disable vbl interrupt on hardware
> >> which lack vbl count in hardware, right ?
> >
> > That's one option, yes.
> >
> > The other option is to calculate how many vblank interrupts have
> > occurred between off and on periods.  You could do this by
> > recording the time when interrupts were disabled, figuring out how
> > much time has passed between then and when they become enabled
> > again, then dividing by the refresh rate.  That should work in
> > theory, but I don't think anyone's tried to do this in practice
> > yet.
> >
> > Doing the latter will keep interrupts off more of the time, so it
> > should save more power.
>
> That sound great but another harder to met criteria is for
> the drm layer to be able to keep track if
> the refresh rates change during an irq off period, right ?

Yeah, it's definitely trickier to do.  Client applications should be
using the new modesetting ioctl in the vblank-rework tree to tell the
DRM core when the mode has changed though, so it should be possible to
calculate a new refresh rate at that time (possibly by leaving
interrupts on for a time until a stable number emerges or by extending
the ioctl to include a refresh rate).

Jesse