Dave Airlie wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out how context switches acutally work... the DRI
>> lock is overloaded as context switcher, and there is code in the
>> kernel to call out to a chipset specific context switch routine when
>> the DRI lock is taken... but only ffb uses it... So I'm guessing the
>> way context switches work today is that the DRI driver grabs the lock
>> and after potentially updating the cliprects through X protocol, it
>> emits all the state it depends on to the cards.  Is the state emission
>> done by just writing out a bunch of registers?  Is this how the X
>> server works too, except XAA/EXA acceleration doesn't depend on a lot
>> of state and thus the DDX driver can emit everything for each
>> operation?
>>

> So yes userspaces notices context has changed and just re-emits everything
> into the batchbuffer it is going to send, for XAA/EXA stuff in Intel at
> least there is an invarient state emission functions that notices what the
> context was and what the last server 3D users was (EXA or Xv texturing)
> and just dumps the state into the batchbuffer.. (or currently into the
> ring)
>

>> How would this work if we didn't have a lock?  You can't emit the
>> state and then start rendering without a lock to keep the state in
>> place...  If the kernel doesn't restore any state, whats the point of
>> the drm_context_t we pass to the kernel in drmLock?  Should the kernel
>> know how to restore state (this ties in to the email from jglisse on
>> state tracking in drm and all the gallium jazz, I guess)?  How do we
>> identify state to the kernel, and how do we pass it in in the
>> super-ioctl?  Can we add a list of registers to be written and the
>> values?  I talked to Dave about it and we agreed that adding a
>> drm_context_t to the super-ioctl would work, but now I'm thinking if
>> the kernel doesn't track any state it wont really work.  Maybe
>> cross-client state sharing isn't useful for performance as Keith and
>> Roland argues, but if the kernel doesn't restore state when it sees a
>> super-ioctl coming from a different context, who does?
>>

> My guess for one way is to store a buffer object with the current state
> emission in it, and submit it with the superioctl maybe, and if we have
> lost context emit it before the batchbuffer..

There are probably various ways to do this, which is another argument
for keeping super-ioctls device-specific.
For i915-type hardware, Dave's approach above is probably the most
attracting one.
For Poulsbo, all state is always implicitly included, usually as a
reference to a buffer object, so we don't really bother about contexts here.
For hardware like the Unichrome, the state is stored in a limited set of
registers.
Here the drm can keep a copy of those registers for each context and do
a smart update on a context switch.

However, there are cases where it is very difficult to use cliprects
from the drm, though  I wouldn't say impossible.
/Thomas