On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 16:31 +0000, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> These all look sensible.

Thanks.

> It's a pity that the change above looks like it will allow users of the
> old argument order to continue to compile without error despite the
> change.  It's a bit hard to know how to achieve that though.

We can thank the C language for that, but I don't know how to fix it
without some artificial changes. My goal is to make future code not have
mistakes in argument ordering of the same nature though, by regularizing
argument order.

> When you say 'document xyz', and the documentation doesn't appear in the
> patch to the header, where *will* the documentation live??

Oh, it's in the source files in gtk-doc format like this:

/**
 * drm_buffer_object_validate:
 *
 * @bo: the buffer object to modify
 *
 * @fence_class: the new fence class covering this buffer
 *
 * @move_unfenced: a boolean indicating whether switching the
 * memory space of this buffer should cause the buffer to
 * be placed on the unfenced list.
 *
 * @no_wait: whether this function should return -EBUSY instead
 * of waiting.
 *
 * Change buffer access parameters. This can involve moving
 * the buffer to the correct memory type, pinning the buffer
 * or changing the class/type of fence covering this buffer
 *
 * Must be called with bo locked.
 */

gtk-doc places the documentation right next to the implementation to
encourage them to be kept in sync as changes are made. It's worked well
for cairo. I'm just documenting things as I figure them out.

I expect to have more API cleanup suggestions after I've got a better
picture of the overall structure; I would like to fix things like the
drm_bo_handle_validate -> drm_bo_do_validate ->
drm_buffer_object_validate chain where the function names are not
clearly disambiguated as to context and purpose.