On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 19:22 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:

> How about a "compat" node for old clients and a "new" render node that
> handles both new clients and GPGPU?  Then the backwards compat stuff
> could just be a shim layer and everything else could use the same code
> instead of dealing with separate render and gpgpu nodes.

Recall that one of the goals is to support multiple user sessions
running at the same time, so we really do want to have per-session
'devices' which relate the collection of applications running within
that session and reflect the access permissions of the various objects
and methods within that session.

Any 'compat' node would eventually have to deal with this new
environment, and I'm not sure it's entirely practical, nor do I think it
entirely necessary.

As for GPGPU usage, that would presumably look an awful lot like a
separate session, although I can imagine there being further limits on
precisely which operations a GPGPU application could perform.